Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Bluffs

This morning it felt like Fall arrived in Highlands Ranch. 50 degrees and sunny and not a cloud in the bluest skies.

I decided to mix it up today and do a hilly, trail run to challenge myself. The Bluffs is an area only about 5 minutes from my house (by car) and has a designated hiking/running trail loop. The loop was just over 3.2 miles and consisted of several steep hills, both going up and down throughout. I have hiked this trail before but never run it so today's adventure was a first. Upon entering the park/trail entrance I was greeted with this lovely sign...



Considering I fear these things and don't have the slightest clue what to do if I encounter one, I was on high alert for my run.

The views looking north and west of the city and mountains is amazing! I wish these pictures did it justice.






Even the backside of the hill is beautiful. There are some amazing homes back there. I was whipped by the time I reached the back and definitely had to walk a bit here and there but still monitored my heart rate to make sure I was staying in my target zone.




There were a ton of people out there today including a highschool track team. I saw the same group 3 times... Considering I only did one loop around these kids were doing several and at fast speeds. I was impressed!

I felt amazing by the time I finished the loop and did the 3.25 miles in just under 34 minutes which was great for me considering I don't usually run hills.






And to boot, I didn't see a single rattlesnake! Thinking I'll add this route into my weekly runs once or twice a week.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment